Care Homes Training Programme
The GSF Care Homes Training programme is the most widely used training programme for all care homes in the UK, supporting all elderly residents as they near the end of their lives. Since 2004, over 2300 care homes have been trained, with up to 200 a year accredited. After a decade of successful delivery we are announcing new flexible ways of learning.
Click on this link to hear Andrea Suttcliffe, Cheif Inspector, Adult Social Care, CQC - Talking about good end of life experiences.
How GSF can improve Staff Retention on Care Homes
Why do GSF Training?
- It is the leading and most successful quality improvement programme in the UK, with over 2,300 care homes trained (50% of all UK Registered nursing homes)
- It leads to the well-recognised GSF Accreditation Quality Hallmark Award
- The Accredited care homes are a hallmark of excellence in their area, recognised by CQC, by NHS Choices, by commissioners, and by other indications of quality provision
- The data base of care homes is available to the general public and families often seek a GSF care home for their relative
- Long term sustainability of the programme has been demonstrated, in that over 150 care homes are now reaccredited 3 years on
- It focuses on organisational and systems change within the home, and leads to quality assurance and recognition through a rigorous accreditation process
- New flexible ways of learning including:-
1. The Premium Gold Programme - The original full training programme with 6 interactive workshops, plus added support of the filmed programme for easier cascade of training within the home.
2. Fast Track to Accreditation (Commission Groups Only) - Homes already practising some of the GSF standards, and have completed other training, such as Six Steps. If they can demonstrate that they meet certain criteria, they will be able to engage with the shorter process to reach Gold.
3. Foundation Level – Silver (Commissioned Groups Only) - GSF principles for care homes who are not ready for the full programme but wish to make a start. This step- by - step approach, involving two workshops and homework, also supports homes that later wish to progress to full training and Accreditation.
4. Blended Learning – Gold - With the filmed GSF Care Homes training programme we are offering a ‘blended learning’ approach to include interactive workshops and in-house sessions, offering a flexible and cost effective training package (whole area commissioned groups only).
5. Refreshers - Bespoke training for areas where a number of homes have previously done the training, but not yet progressed to Accreditation
- There are opportunities to join the programme at a variety of venues across the country. We offer an 'Open' Programme and are commissioned for specific local projects.
What GSF improves?
Better quality of care, proactive planning, working with GPs, staff morale, more advance care planning and reduced (usually halved) hospital deaths.
|“It’s been life changing for us, improving all aspects of care not just towards the end of life” Manager GSF care home|
The Care Home Training Programme is strongly experiential and peer supported, using many real life examples from homes. We build on the belief that staff have a special relationship with their residents and aspire to the best, and we wish to affirm and encourage them, building confidence and ability to provide excellence in care. Although collaboration with specialists, GPs and others is important, this is about the way a care home team itself functions and how the ‘Gold Standards’ thinking runs through the whole home.
Changing culture in care homes - Sharon Blackburn, Policy and Communications Director, National Care Forum - GSF Conference and Awards Ceremony - March 2015
Benefits of Assessments in GSFCH from Theresa Griffin, a GP in Shrewsbury
Helen Brewster from a Nursing home in Lincolnshire is discussing Out of Hours
To register your interest and receive details regarding the next GSF Care Homes training programme please complete our Expression of Interest form.