The fact that there is now a Gold Standard for palliative care means not only that everyone now knows what can be achieved, but that patients and families are beginning to know what they should be asking for - and expecting!
Baroness Julia Neuberger, DBE House of Lords
Nikki Sawkins, National Clinical Lead Nurse for GSFCH
| || || || || || || |
What is the Gold Standards Framework Care Homes (GSFCH) Training Programme?
The GSFCH training programme is a three stage quality assurance programme (How It Works) that enables care homes to provide quality care for all residents nearing the end of life. The training programme is open to all care homes including care homes with nursing, personal care, learning disabilities and adults with physical disabilities. By implementing improved coordination and better organisation GSF helps care homes deliver better patient outcomes in line with their needs and preferences. It also delivers greater cost efficiency by reducing hospitalisation.
National Cancer Director, Department of Health
| || || || || || || |
A separate GSF Programme for domiciliary care services, is in the pilot stage, more details later. Please contact the central team to register your interest with this new development.
It is the most comprehensive programme to enhance end of life care in care homes. Since it started in 2004 almost 1500 homes have undertaken the training and about 100 apply to be accredited every year. It is endorsed by all the major care home organisations and supported by Age UK.
Why get involved in the GSFCH Training Programme:
- Quality improvement, quality assurance and quality recognition
- A third less hospital admissions and half the numbers of deaths in hospital
- More patients dying in their preferred place
- System change and education - it is about changing the way the whole care home functions leading to increased staff confidence and job satisfaction
- Reduced workload as teams work smarter and communicate better
- The accredited homes will receive a Quality Hallmark Award, be included on the national database, with national recognition for their achievement and membership of a Solid Gold Club with numerous benefits that support continued progress
- It is supported by the DH End of Life Care programme and Care Homes Groups
- Helps homes and PCTs to meet the Quality Markers outline in the consultation document
Cost savings with GSF Care Homes
Findings from the After Death Analysis Audits for accredited homes Phase 4-5 2007-9 show the number of care home residents dying in hospital was reduced by more than 50% from 25% to 9.4%
How to get involved
The GSFCH Training Programme is structured yet flexible and designed to help each home to move at the right pace for them. It can only be implemented by homes that are formally registered either as part of locally commissioned area or one of our regular open programmes. Do contact the National GSF Centre CIC for any further information or to book a time to discuss possible options in your area. Tel: 01743 291891 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
We currently have a programme in London. There is limited availability and it is on a first come first serve basis. If you are intersted in joining the training programme and would like more information (inc.costing document) then please contact us at the GSF Centre by email on: email@example.com or 01743 291 891
London Open Phase 8
GSF Care Homes Expression of Interest Form